Tuesday, 11 December 2018

Padiyadora Raja Maha Viharaya

The Stupa mound at Padiyadora Viharaya, Padiyathalawa
Padiyadora Raja Maha Viharaya is an ancient Buddhist temple located in the village of Padiyathalawa in Ampara District, Sri Lanka. The temple can be reached by traveling through Sri Maha Bodhi road about 1.5 km distance from the Padiyathalawa town.

History
The history of the Padiyadora temple is believed to belong to the reign of Kawantissa [(205–161 B.C.) Withanachchi, 2013]. According to the local beliefs, the Boddhi tree of the Padiyadora temple is one of the early saplings of Jaya Sri Maha Bodhiya in Anuradhapura.

Archaeological ruins
A number of archaeological ruins have been found in the temple premises. The Stupa which is in a dilapidated state can be identified as an early construction of the temple. A headless standing Buddha statue of about 4 feet height has been placed aside of the Stupa mound.

A protected site
The ancient Stupa, ruins of buildings, pond, wall and other archaeological evidences at the archaeological site at Padiyadora situated in Grama Niladhari Division No. 140/D, Thalapita Oya Left in the Divisional Secretary’s Division, Padiyathalawa are archaeological protected monuments, declared by a government gazette notification published on 10 October 2014. 

The headless Buddha statue The Padiyadora Bodhi tree A carved stone slab Ruins at the temple .
References
1) Withanachchi, C. R., 2013. Pauranika Sthana Saha Smaraka: Ampara Distrikkaya (In Sinhala). Department of Archaeology (Sri Lanka). ISBN: 955-9159-44-5. p.29.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1884. 10 October 2014. p. 912.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 5 March 2022
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment