Saturday, June 15, 2019

Keppetipola Walawwa, Kandy

The old manor house known as Keppetipola Walawwa is located on D. S. Senanayake Veediya, Kandy town, Sri Lanka.
Keppetipola Walawwa, Kandy

Building
The two storied building presently owned by Kandy Buddhist Association is the old Keppetipola Walawwa. It was handed over to the association in 1952 (Rajapakse, 2016).

The building contains architectural features of the colonial period and is in a well preserved state. The ground floor of the building has been paved with tiles while the upper storey is on a floor made of woods (Rajapakse, 2016). A wooden flight of steps runs from the ground floor to the upper floor.

A protected monument
The Keppetipola Walawwa (the building bearing assessment nos. 150, 152, 152/1) on D.S. Senanayake Veediya in Kandy town in the Divisional Secretary’s Division of Gangawata Koralaya is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 8 July 2005.

References
1) Rajapakse, S., 2016. Pauranika Sthana Ha Smaraka: Mahanuwara Distrikkaya (In Sinhala). Archaeological Department of Sri Lanka. ISBN:955-9159-34-8. pp.22-23.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1401. 8 July 2005.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 15 June 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment