Sunday, March 28, 2021

Yudaganawa Wewa

Yudaganawa Wewa
Yudaganawa Wewa is a reservoir situated in Monaragala District, Sri Lanka. The ancient Yudaganawa Stupa is located near this tank.

History
This reservoir is believed to have been built by King Mahanaga (3rd century B.C.) and the area is traditionally associated with the battle between the two brothers, Prince Abhaya (Dutugemunu) and Prince Tissa [(Saddhatissa) Arumugam, 1969; Fernando, 1980; Nicholas, 1963].

The present tank was restored between 1950-1952 (Arumugam, 1969).

The reservoir
The bund of the reservoir is about 3,000 ft. long and the water is extending in an area of about 150 acres at its full supply level (Arumugam, 1969). It has only one spill (Arumugam, 1969).

Attribution

References
1) Arumugam, S., 1969. Water resources of Ceylon: its utilisation and development. Water Resources Board. p.127.
2) Fernando, A.D.N., 1980. Major ancient irrigation works of Sri Lanka. Journal of the Sri Lanka Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, 22, pp.1-24.
3) Nicholas, C. W., 1963. Historical topography of ancient and medieval Ceylon. Journal of the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, New Series (Vol VI). Special Number: Colombo. Royal Asiatic Society (Ceylon Branch). p.53.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 12 September 2021
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment