Thursday, December 27, 2018

Badulla Pillar Inscription

Badulla Pillar Inscription
Badulla Pillar Inscription (also known as Soraborawewa Pillar Inscription) is a stone pillar with an inscription discovered from Badulla in Sri Lanka. It is presently erected at the premises of Senerat Paranavitana Public Library in Badulla town. This inscription is historically important as it reveals some information about the socio-economic condition and the nature of the internal trade of Sri Lanka during the 10th century.

Discovery
A trivial description about this pillar inscription is found in an account given for Sorabora Wewa reservoir in 1857, by Mr. John Bailey, the then Assistant Government Agent for Badulla. He had briefly mentioned the pillar, its size, and inscribed faces (Paranavitana, 1933). According to his account, the pillar had been observed by him at a location situated near Sorabora Wewa.

After restoring the tank of Sorabora Wewa by the government in 1870, the pillar was removed to Badulla and set up near the junction of the Kandy and Bandarawela roads (Paranavitana, 1933). Thenceforth, the pillar was standing there for over fifty years without receiving any attention from scholars or archaeologists (Paranavitana, 1933). In 1920, the then Government Agent at Badulla, Mr. Codrington brought this inscription to the attention of the Archaeological Commissioner (Paranavitana, 1933).

Inscription
The quadrilateral pillar is 8 feet 5 inches in height and all four sides are covered by the inscription (Paranavitana, 1933). It contains about two thousand letters written in two hundred and three lines. The letters are very small and vary in size from half an inch to one.  According to Senarath Paranavitana, this inscription is the longest pillar inscription known by him at the time (Paranavitana, 1933).

Content
This inscription is dated to the second year of the reign of Siri Sang-bo Uda who is identified as King Udaya III or King Udaya IV (de Casparis, 1996; Gunawardana, 2013; Paranavitana, 1933). Several rules enacted for the administration of a village called Hopitigamu in the Sorabora Division are recorded in the inscription (Paranavitana, 1933). These rules have come as a result, after a petition submitted by merchants and householders of Hopitigamu to King Udaya, during his visit to the Mahiyangana Stupa (Gunawardana, 2013). Prominent archaeologist Senarath Paranavitana has left the following opinions regarding this inscription;
These are (the rules) in the nature of a charter granted by the king to some mercantile corporations at the place and was the out come of a complaint against the local magistrates made to the king when he visited Mahiyangana.
From this record we also learn that the practice of exacting fines by moral compulsion (by placing in the valakma) which prevailed at the time of  British occupation of the Kandyan Provinces was an old institution dating back at least to the tenth century.
Citation: Paranavitana, S., 1933. Badulla Pillar Inscription. p.74.
A protected monument
The pillar inscription at Badulla Public Library located in the Divisional Secretary’s Division of Badulla is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 22 November 2002.
 
References
1) de Casparis, J.G., 1996. Sri Lanka and maritime Southeast Asia in ancient times. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka, 41. pp.229-240.
2) Gunawardana, V.D.N.S., 2013. The role of the traders in monetary transactions in ancient Sri Lanka. Culture, Globalization and the Developing World, 2nd ICSS.
3) Paranavitana, S., 1933. (Edited and translated by Wikramasinghe, D.M.D.Z.; Codrington, H.W.) Badulla Pillar Inscription. Epigraphia Zeylanica: Being Lithic and Other Inscriptions of Ceylon :Vol. III. Printed at the Department of Government Printing, Sri Lanka (Ceylon) for the Archeological Department. pp.71-100.
4) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1264. 22 November 2002.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 11 January 2021
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

A short note for local school students
බදුල්ල ටැම් ලිපිය
බදුල්ල ටැම් ලිපිය (සොරබොර වැව ටැම් ලිපිය ලෙසද හඳුන්වයි) යනු ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ බදුල්ල ප්‍රදේශයෙන් සොයාගත් ලිපියක් සහිත ශිලා ස්ථම්භයකි. එය වර්තමානයේදී බදුල්ල නගරයේ පිහිටි සෙනරත් පරණවිතාන මහජන පුස්තකාල පරිශ්‍රයේ පිහිටුවා ඇත. දසවන ශතවර්ශයේදී ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ පැවති සාමාජ-ආර්ථික තත්වය හා අභ්‍යන්තර වෙළඳාමෙහි ස්වරූපය පිළිබඳ යම් තොරතුරු හෙළිදරවු කිරීම හේතුවෙන් මෙම ශිලා ලේඛනය ඓතිහාසික වශයෙන් වැදගත්ය.

සොයාගැනීම
එවකට බදුල්ල සහකාර රජයේ නියෝජිත ජෝන් බේලි මහතා විසින් සොරබොර වැව පිළිබඳ 1857 වර්ෂයේ දෙනුලැබූ විස්තරයක මෙම ටැම් ලිපිය පිළිබඳ සුළු විස්තරයක් හමුවේ. ඔහු විසින් ස්ථම්භය පිළිබඳව, එහි ප්‍රමාණය හා ලිපිය කොටා ඇති මුහුණත් ගැන කෙටියෙන් සඳහන් කොට තිබුණි. ඔහුගේ විස්තරය අනූව, ඔහු විසින් ස්ථම්භය නිරික්ෂණය කොට තිබුනේ සොරබොර වැවට ආසන්න ස්ථානයකදීය.

1870 වසරේදී රජය විසින් සොරබොර වැව ප්‍රතිසංස්කරණය කිරීමෙන් අනතුරුව, ස්ථම්භය බදුල්ලට රැගෙන ගොස් මහනුවර සහ බණ්ඩාරවෙල මංසන්ධිය අසල පිහිටුවනු ලැබුණි. එතැන් පටන්, මෙම ස්ථම්භය වසර පනහකට වැඩි කාලයක් විද්වතුන්ගේ හෝ පුරාවේදීන්ගේ අවධානයට පාත්‍ර නොවී පැවතුණි. 1920 වසරේදී, එවක බදුල්ල රජයේ නියෝජිත කොරිංටන් විසින් මෙම ශිලා ලේඛනය පුරාවිද්‍යා කොමසාරිස්වරයාගේ අවධානයට ගෙන එන ලදී.

සෙල්ලිපිය
චතුරස්‍රාකාර අඩි 8 අඟල් 5 ක් උස් ස්ථම්භයෙහි සියළුම මුහුණත් හතරෙහිම ශිලා ලේඛනය කොටවා ඇත. එහි පේළි දෙසීය තුනක් තුල අක්ෂර දෙදහසක් පමණ අන්තර්ගතය. අක්ෂර ඉතා කුඩා වන අතර ඒවායේ ප්‍රමාණ අඟල් භාගයේ සිට අඟල දක්වා වෙනස් වෙයි. සෙනරත් පරණවිතාන මහතාට අනූව, මෙම ශිලා ලේඛනය ඔහු විසින් ඒ වනවිට දැන සිටි දීර්ඝතම ටැම් ලිපිය වේ. 

අන්තර්ගතය
ශිලා ලේඛනය සිරි සඟබෝ උඩ රජුගේ (තුන්වන උදය රජු හෝ සිව්වන උදය රජ) දෙවන රාජ්‍ය වර්ෂයේ පිහිටුවන ලද්දකි. සොරබොර ප්‍රදේශයේ හෝපිටිගම නමින් හැඳුන්වනු ලැබූ ග්‍රාමයේ පරිපාලනය සම්බන්ධව පනවන ලද නීති රෙගුලාසි සමහරක් ශිලා ලේඛනයෙහි සඳහන්ය. උදය රජු මහියංගන සතූපය කරා පැමිණි අවස්ථාවක හෝපිටිගම ග්‍රාමයේ වෙළෙන්දන් හා කුටුම්බවාසින් විසින් ඉදිරිපත් කෙරූ පෙත්සමක ප්‍රථිපලයක් වශයෙන් මෙම රෙගුලාසි පනවා ඇත.

පුරාවිද්‍යා ස්මාරකය
බදුල්ල ප්‍රාදේශීය ලේකම් කොට්ඨාශයට අයත් බදුල්ල මහජන පුස්තකාල පරිශ්‍රයේ වූ ටැම් ලිපිය, 2002 නොවැම්බර් 22 දින ප්‍රකාශයට පත් රජයේ ගැසට් නිවේදනය මගින් ආරක්ෂිත පුරාවිද්‍යා ස්මාරකයක් ලෙස නම් කොට ඇත.

1 comment: