Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Ovagiriya Archaeological Site

The Stupa of Ovagiriya temple, Ampara
Ovagiriya (or Owagiriya) is a Buddhist archaeological site situated in Polwatta village in Ampara District, Sri Lanka. The site can be reached by traveling about 19 km distance through the Ampara - Inginiyagala road from Ampara town.

This site was in an abandoned state until the surrounding area was developed by the Gal Oya Development Scheme. On the request of the Gal Oya Development Board, the site was discovered and explored by the Archaeological Department. At the time, most of the ruins had been destroyed by the operations of the Gal Oya Scheme.
Hidden ruins at Ovagiriya, Ampara
History
The history of this temple is dated back to the early Anuradhapura era (Anuradhapura period: 377 B.C. to 1017 A.D.). Remains of ruined buildings and structures, stone pillars, a Stupa, an image house, flight of steps, Korawak Gal (balustrades), Muragal (guard stones), Sri Pathul Gal (Buddha's foot prints), stone bases and flat tiles can be found in the site (Withanachchi, 2013). The Buddha statue which is about 11.5 feet in height was found headless and hand less and has been conserved by the archaeological department in 2008. The Stupa of Owagiriya temple is belonged to the early Anuradhapura period. It was excavated by the archaeological department in 2012. A flight of steps, fragments of Korawak Gal and Mura Gal were found in the premises of Stupa.
The Buddha Statue of Owagiriya, Ampara Yantra stone and base stones are scattered in the ruined image house, Owagiriya
Ruins of ancient buildings, Owagiriya, Ampara Ruins of ancient buildings, Owagiriya, Ampara
References
1) Withanachchi, C. R., 2013. Pauranika Sthana Saha Smaraka: Ampara Distrikkaya (In Sinhalese). Department of Archaeology (Sri Lanka). ISBN: 955-9159-44-5. p.26.

Location Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment