Saturday, June 22, 2019

Renagala Ambalama

The Renagala Ambalama is an old wayside rest in the village of Renagala in Kurunegala District, Sri Lanka.
Renagala Ambalama

History
Ambalamas are traditional resting places built by locals to accommodate wayfarers who were traveling to distant places. The Ambalama at Renagala is believed to be belonged to the late 19 century (Anuradha & Kumari, 2015). According to a folklore, Pilimatalawe Maha Adikaram had stopped at this place for a while after he was captured by the British (Anuradha & Kumari, 2015).

Structure
The Ambalama has been built on a rock plane by using clay and rubble stones. The walls are about 1.25 m tall and the roof is sustained by 9 pillars of about 1 m height (Anuradha & Kumari, 2015). The four pillars at the corners of the structure are covered with lime plaster while others contains simple wood carvings.

A protected monument
The doss house (Renagala Ambalama) in Renagala village in the Grama Niladhari Division of Hungamuwa in Alawwa Divisional Secretary’s Division is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 7 December 2001.

References
1) Anuradha, R.K.S.; Kumari, A.S., 2015. Pauranika Sthana Saha Smaraka: Kurunegala Distrikkaya (In Sinhala). Department of Archaeology (Sri Lanka). ISBN: 955-9159-37-2. pp.65-66.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka: No: 1214. 7 December 2001.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 22 June 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment