Saturday, November 23, 2019

St. Andrew's Church, Haputale

St. Andrew's Church, Haputale
St. Andrew's Church is an old Church situated in Haputale in Badulla District, Sri Lanka.

History
The history of St. Andrew's Church runs back to the 19th century. The British people who migrated to Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) as planters during the period of British Ceylon (1815-1948 A.D.) found their settlements at several places in the country such as Haputale, Bandarawela, Nuwara Eliya, etc. (Wijesundara, 2019). Most of these settlers were Catholic devotees and therefore, churches were built near to their settlements as the places of religious activities. The St. Andrew's Church in Haputale is one such church built on 19 September 1869 (Wijesundara, 2019).

A protected site
The St. Andrew's Church situated in the village of Kadurugamuwa in the Divisional Secretariat Division of Haputale is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 22 November 2002

Attribution
1) Church, Sri Lanka - panoramio by Gonzo Gooner is licensed under CC BY 3.0

References
1) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka: No: 1264. 22 November 2002.
2) Wijesundara, R., 2019. Nilla pirunu kandu getaye deviyange nivahana (In Sinhala). Dayada newsletter. Vol.13. July 2019. Department of Archaeology. p.19.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 11 May 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment