Saturday, October 2, 2021

The Sanctuary at Tissawewa

The Sanctuary at Tissawewa
Photo credit: Carl Halpin, Google street view

The Sanctuary at Tissawewa is a star-class hotel situated in the Ancient City of Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka. It is located near the ancient tank, Tissa Wewa.

History
Considered to be the oldest rest house building in the Anuradhapura area, it was opened on 15 November 1905 and used as a residence for government officials of the British colonial rule (De Silva & Chandrasekara, 2009). It was known at the beginning as Tissawewa Grand and the name was changed to Tissawewa Rest House after Sri Lanka gained independence in 1948. After some refurbishment and renovations, the hotel was renamed again in 2013 as Sanctuary at Tissawewa.

The hotel
The two-storeyed hotel retains its colonial allure although it is presently equipped with modern facilities. The porch, long verandas with tall white columns, wooden ceiling, decorative railings and valance boards have given some colonial appearance to the building. The pitched roof of it is covered with clay tiles.

References
1) De Silva, N.; Chandrasekara, D.P., 2009. Heritage Buildings of Sri Lanka. Colombo: The National Trust Sri Lanka, ISBN: 978-955-0093-01-4. p.183.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 3 October 2021
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment