Monday, November 8, 2021

Nuwara Eliya Golf Course

Nuwara Eliya Golf Course
Nuwara Eliya Golf Course is situated in the valley of Pidurutalagala Mountain (2,524 m) in Nuwara Eliya District, Sri Lanka.

History
The Nuwara Eliya Golf Club was established in 1889 by Captain Neville Davies of the Gordon Highlanders for the British servicemen and officials who were posted at Nuwara Eliya (Abeyawardana, 2004). General Mc Leod, the officer commanding the Gordon Highlanders is considered the first golf player of this course (Abeyawardana, 2004). In 1891, a club for ladies was established under the management of the Nuwara Eliya Golf Club (Abeyawardana, 2004).
 
At the beginning, the course had only 9 holes. However, it was upgraded and expanded to a course of 18 holes by linking additional lands to it in the years 1893, 1904, and 1917 (Abeyawardana, 2004). The first golf championship of Sri Lanka was held at the Nuwara Eliya course in 1891 (Abeyawardana, 2004).

The course
The course covers approximately 40 hectares of land and it is an 18-hole golf course comprising three parts. Out of the 18 holes, 7 are located around the Club House, 3 in the area known as Switzerland and the remaining 8 are in the area called eight River Holes (Abeyawardana, 2004).

1) The Brocas Meads Holes: The 7 holes around the Club House is known by this name. This area was once a swamp but now accommodates the hole numbers 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 15th, 16th, 17th and 18th (Abeyawardana, 2004).
2) Switzerland: The hilly testing holes 12th, 13th, and 14th are located in this area (Abeyawardana, 2004).
3) The River Holes: Hole numbers 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, and 11th are located in this part (Abeyawardana, 2004).

References
1) Abeyawardana, H.A.P., 2004. Heritage of Kandurata: Major natural, cultural and historic sites. Colombo: The Central Bank of Sri Lanka. pp.341-344.
 
Location Map
This page was last updated on 14 November 2021
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment