Saturday, 29 October 2022

Ratnapura Old Fountain

Ratnapura Old Fountain (Sinhala: රත්නපුර පැරණි වතුර මල) is a water spout located in the premises of Maha Saman Devalaya in Ratnapura District, Sri Lanka.

History
The fountain was granted by Sir William Gregory, the British Governor of Ceylon from 1872 to 1877 as a souvenir to commemorate his visit to Ratnapura. The fountain was installed in the main roundabout in front of the entrance gate of the Ratnapura Fort near the present public library building. In 1967, to obtain space for the road, the fountain was removed from the site and established in front of the statue of Henpitagedara Gnanaseeha Thera near the Moragahayata bridge. However, it was removed again from that site and kept in a store belonging to the Road Development Authority.

On 2 August 2022, the fountain was reconstructed and installed in front of the Maha Saman Devalaya premises under the direction of the Department of Archaeology.

See also

Location Map
This page was last updated on 2 November 2022

0 comments:

Post a Comment