Sunday, January 20, 2019

Koskandawala Raja Maha Viharaya

The Stupa of Koskandawala Raja Maha Viharaya
Koskandawala Raja Maha Viharaya (also known as Koskandawala Sri Sunandarama Piriven Raja Maha Viharaya) is an ancient Buddhist temple located in the village of Koskandawala in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka. The site can be reached by traveling along the Yakkala - Radawana road about 2.8 km distance from the Yakkala Junction.

History
The history of this temple is believed to be dated back to the period of Anuradhapura Kingdom (377 B.C. - 1017 C.E.). The main rock cave which houses the image house today bears drip-ledges indicating that it may had been used by the monks as their abode. The cave temples at Uruwala, Maligathenna, Warana, Miriswatta and Pilikuththuwa which are situated in the vicinity of Koskandawala temple are said to have formed one major cave site during the early Anuradhapura period.

A protected site
The ancient image house and the Dharmasala (preaching hall) within the premises of Koskandawala Rajamaha Vihara situated in Grama Niladhari Division No. 308, Koskandawala in the Divisional Secretary’s Division, Aththanagalla are archaeological protected monuments, declared by the government Gazette notifications published on 1 November 1996 and 7 July 2016.  
A stone artifact, Koskandawala Viharaya The preaching hall, Koskandawala Viharaya
References
1) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 948. 1 November 1996.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka: Extraordinary. No: 1974/16. 7 July 2016. p.5A.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 2 June 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment