Sunday, January 27, 2019

Pilikuththuwa Raja Maha Viharaya

Pilikuththuwa Raja Maha Viharaya
Pilikuththuwa Raja Maha Viharaya is a cave temple located in the village of Pilikuttuwa in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka. The site can be reached by traveling along the Yakkala - Radawana road about 3.4 km distance from the Yakkala Junction.

History
The history of Pilikuttuwa temple is ranging from the prehistoric period to the Kandyan period [(1469–1815) Jayarathne & Gunawardhana, 2017]. Archaeological evidence dating back to the prehistoric period have been found from several caves located in the site. Early Brahmi inscriptions found from some caves prove that this area was existing as a religious place since the pre-Christian era.
Pilikuttuwa cave inscription of Aggibhuti

Period        : 3rd century B.C.- 1st century A.D.
Scripts       : Early Brahmi
Language  : Old Sinhala
Transcript : Anikatasa batuno Agibutino dane
agata anagata chatudisa sagasa
Content : This inscription records that the cave
of Aggibhuti, the brother of Cavalry  officer  has
been   given  to   the  Sangha  of  four  quarters
present and absent.
Reference  : Paranavitana, 1970.
Pilikuttuwa cave inscription of Aggibjuti
The cave temples situated in the vicinity of Pilikuththuwa Viharaya such as Uruwala, Maligathenna, Warana, Miriswatta, and Koskandawala are said to have formed one major cave site during the early Anuradhapura period (Anuradhapura period: 377 B.C.-1017 A.D.).

Folklore
According to folklore, the caves of this temple have been used by King Valagamba as a hideout during the reign of the Five Dravidians (five Indian invaders who ruled the Anuradhapura Kingdom from 103 to 88 B.C.)

Temple complex
A large number of caves (about 99 caves) with or without drip-ledges have been identified in the temple premises. The small Stupa which is surrounded by a large drip-ledged cave has been build during the Kandyan period and had been sheltered with a roof. Other monuments such as the ancient cave temple with paintings of the Kandyan Period, three-storied preaching hall, roads, and the mould creeper (Pus Wela) with a perimeter of 6 feet (which is believed to be about 400 years old) have increased the historical value of the temple. 

The pond made with cairus of stones, the underground water canal, the old wooden bridge, and the ancient reservoir are also considered as important monuments found in the temple premises. The wooden bridge is belonged to the Kandyan period and has been constructed in the section connected to the pond of the ancient underground water system and the reservoir built across the temple premises.

A protected site
The ancient image house, all the caves, cave inscriptions, monks' dwelling houses, Stupa, Diggala, Dewala Lena, wooden bridge, pond, and the Dharmasala (the preaching hall) within the premises of Pilikuththuwa Rajamaha Vihara situated in Grama Niladhari Division of Pilikuththuwa in the Divisional Secretary’s Division Mahara are archaeological protected monuments, declared by the government gazette notifications published on 1 November 1996, 22 November 2002 and 7 July 2016.  

The Devalaya Lena Kandyan era paintings and sculptures in the cave temple A Portuguese soldier like guardian image The wooden bridge
.
References
1) Jayarathne, H.A.S.N.; Gunawardhana, K.K.H.M., 2017. පිළිකුත්තුව රජමහා විහාරයේ සිතුවම්, සෙල්ලිපි හා ආවාස සම්ප්‍රදාය පිළිබඳ අධ්‍යයනයක් [A study on the paintings, inscriptions and dwelling tradition of Pilikuttuwa Raja Maha Viharaya (In Sinhala)]. Undergraduates' Research Conference on Archaeology, Tourism and Cultural Resource Management (URCAT), Department of Archaeology, University of Kelaniya, Kelaniya. p.35.
2) Paranavitana, S., 1970. Inscription of Ceylon (Vol. I). Department of Archaeology Ceylon. p.86.
3) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 948. 1 November 1996.
4) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1264. 22 November 2002.
5) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka: Extraordinary. No: 1974/16. 7 July 2016. p.5A.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 12 November 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

A short note for local school students
පිළිකුත්තුව රජමහා විහාරය

පිළිකුත්තුව රජමහා විහාරය ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ ගම්පහ දිස්ත්‍රික්කයේ පිළිකුත්තුව පිහිටි බෞද්ධ සිද්ධස්ථානයකි.

ඉතිහාසය
පිළිකුත්තුව විහාරයෙහි ඉතිහාසය පූර්ව ඓතිහාසික යුගයේ සිට නුවර යුගය දක්වා විහිදෙයි. මෙහි පිහිටි සමහරක් ලෙන් වලින් පූර්ව ඓතිහාසික යුගයට අයත් පුරාවිද්‍යාත්මක සාධක හමුව තිබේ. සමහරක් ලෙන්වල වන පූර්ව-බ්‍රාහ්මී සෙල්ලිපි මෙම ස්ථානය ක්‍රිස්තු පූර්ව යුගයේ සිටම ආගමික ස්ථානයක් වශයෙන් පැවති බව තහවුරු කරයි.

පිළිකුත්තුව විහාරයට ආසන්නව පිහිටි අනෙකුත් ලෙන් විහාර වූ ඌරුවල, මාළිගාතැන්න, වාරණ, මිරිස්වත්ත හා කොස්කඳවල යන විහාර අනුරාධපුර මුල් අවධියේදී එකම විහාර සංකීර්ණයක් වශයෙන් පවතින්නට ඇතැයි සැළකේ.

ජනප්‍රවාද
දකුණු ඉන්දියානු ආක්‍රමණිකයන් විසින් අනුරාධපුර පාලනය කරන සමයේ වලගම්බා රජු මෙම ස්ථානය භාවිත කල බව ජනප්‍රවාදයේ සඳහන්ය.

විහාර සංකීර්ණය
කටාරම් සහිත හෝ රහිත ලෙන් විශාල සංඛ්‍යාවක් (99ක් පමණ) මෙම විහාර පරිශ්‍රයෙන් හමුව තිබේ. විශාල කටාරම් සහිත ලෙනකින් වටවූ කුඩා ස්තූපය අතීතයේ වහළයකින් ආවරණය වී තිබුණි. නුවර යුගයට අයත් සිතුවම් සහිත ලෙන් විහාරය, ධර්මශාලාව, මං පෙත්, අඩි 6ක වටප්‍රමාණයෙන් යුත් වසර 400ක් පැරණි යැයි විශ්වාස කෙරෙන පුස් වැල, විහාරයේ ඓතිහාසික බව වැඩිකරන අනෙකුත් ස්මාරක වෙයි. 

සක්ක ගලින් නිර්මිත පොකුණ, භූගත ජල මාර්ගය, පැරණි දැව පාලම, හා පුරාණ වැව ද විහාර භූමියෙහි හමුවන වැදගත් ස්මාරක වේ.

පුරාවිද්‍යා ස්මාරක ස්ථානය
පිළිකුත්තුව රජමහා විහාර පරිශ්‍රයේ පිහිටි පැරණි විහාර ගෙය, සියළුම ලෙන්, ලෙන් ලිපි, භික්ෂු කුටි, ස්තූපය, දිග්ගල, දේවාල ලෙන, දැව පාලම, පොකුණ, සහ ධර්ම ශාලාව, 1996 නොවැම්බර් 1 වන දින හා 2002 නොවැම්බර් 22 හා 2016 ජූලි 7 වන දින ප්‍රකාශයට පත් රජයේ ගැසට් නිවේදන මගින් ආරක්ෂිත පුරාවිද්‍යා ස්මාරක ලෙස නම් කොට ඇත.

3 comments: