Sunday, July 26, 2020

Kala Wewa

Kala Wewa
Kala Wewa is a twin reservoir complex (Kala-Balalu Wewa) situated in Anuradhapura District, Sri Lanka.

History
The Kala Vapi or the Kala Wewa was constructed during the reign of King Dhatusena [(459-477 A.D.) Arumugam, 1969]. Historical sources reveal that King Mahinda II (777-797 A.D.) improved and strengthened the work (Arumugam, 1969).

The present reservoir was restored in 1887 and in 1939, it was enlarged by 6 ft (Arumugam, 1969). The breaches in 1957 were repaired in 1958 and the twin reservoirs Kala Wewa and Balalu Wewa were merged together to form one large reservoir (Arumugam, 1969).

In 2015, the reservoir was rehabilitated by the Dam Safety & Water Resources Planning Project.

Reservoir
The reservoir has been constructed across the Kala Oya and the Jaya Ganga. It has a capacity of 100,000 Ac. ft (123 million cubic meters) and has facilitated with a stone-made spillway and three main sluices (Yodha Ela, Goda Ela, and Balalu-wewa). The water of the reservoir brings to the Nuwara Wewa reservoir in Anuradhapura by an ancient 54 miles (86.90 km) long canal called Jaya Ganga or Yodha Ela (Arumugam, 1969) which has a fine slope of 6 inches per mile. 

The Kala Oya valley has been dammed by a 5 mile (8.04 km) long earthen embankment of about 60 ft high (Arumugam, 1969). 

Balalu Wewa

.
References
1) Arumugam, S., 1969. Water resources of Ceylon: its utilisation and development. Water Resources Board. pp.17,342-343.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 26 July 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment