Sunday, February 3, 2019

The Salvation Army Church, Kandy

The Salvation Army Church
The Salvation Army Church is an old church located in the Colombo Street of Kandy town, Sri Lanka.

History
Local people believe that this building has been erected in order to commemorate Arnolis Weerasooriya [(1857-1888) Rajapakse, 2016], the first non-westerner who attained the rank of colonel in the Salvation Army (Anderson, 1999).

Church
The two storied church building is about 19.7 m long and 8.18 m wide (Rajapakse, 2016). The ground floor is mainly used for the usual church services and can be accessed through three arch shaped entrances. The upper storey contains about five rooms and is connected to the ground floor through a flight of steps with a wooden balustrade (Rajapakse, 2016).

A protected building
The Salvation Army Building bearing assessment no 26 situated in the Colombo Street of Kandy town, in the Divisional Secretary’s Division of Kandy is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notifications published on 8 July 2005.  

Attribution
1) Salvation Army Church Kandy by Adbar is licensed under CC BY SA 3.0

References
1) Anderson, G.H., 1999. Biographical dictionary of Christian missions. Wm. B. Eerdmans Publishing. p.721.
2) Rajapakse, S., 2016. Pauranika Sthana Ha Smaraka: Mahanuwara Distrikkaya (In Sinhala). Archaeological Department of Sri Lanka. ISBN:955-9159-34-8. pp.24-25.
3) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1401. 8 July 2005.

Location Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment