Sunday, September 8, 2019

Archaeological Museum of Kotte

Archaeological Museum of Kotte
The Archaeological Museum of Kotte, Sri Lanka is one of the regional museums administered by the Department of Archaeology. It is located at Bungalow Junction at a distance of 5 km from the Borella bus stop. The museum contains artifacts mainly discovered from Kotte and the surrounding area. 

History
The museum has been established on the residence of the famous politician Mr. E. W. Perera (1875 - 1953). In 1992, the residence was converted to E. W. Perera Memorial Museum and declared open for the public in 1995.

Museum
Artifacts which are being exhibited include ancient monuments, photographs, various flags, swords, knives, guns, statues, coins, ceramic ware, clay vessels, as well as a number of antiquities discovered in excavations and during the construction of buildings in the Kotte and vicinity area. In addition to them, a collection of items used by Mr. E. W. Perera and items donated and purchased by Mr. Douglas Ranasinghe are also available in the museum.

Attribution
1) Kotte Museum by L Manju is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.

References
1) Official website of Archaeological Department : Museums#Kotte

Location Map
This page was last updated on 8 September 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment