Monday, May 11, 2020

Methodist Church, Pettah

Pettah Methodist Church
The Methodist Church situated in Pettah, Colombo is the first Methodist church, established in Sri Lanka as well as Asia.

History
The history of the Methodist Church in Sri Lanka is running back to the early 19th century (Melton & Baumann, 2010). The first Methodist Bishop Thomas Coke (9 September 1747 - 2 May 1814) hoped to open Methodist missions in the East Indies and at his own expense he set sail for Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) on 30 December 1813 with six other missionaries including William Ault, Benjamin Clough, George Erskine, Thomas Hall Squance, William Martin Harvard, and James Lynch. However, during the voyage, Coke died and was buried at sea (Melton & Baumann, 2010). The others except Harvard (he remained in Bombay, India due to family circumstances) arrived in Galle on 29 June 1814, six months after they started their journey and one year before the fall down of the Kingdom of Kandy.

After the arrival, the missionaries split up and traveled to different parts of the country. Lynch and Squance went to Jaffna, Ault to Batticaloa, Erskine to Matara, and Clough remained in Galle (Pritchard, 2016). Harvard who was in Bombay came to Sri Lanka and was based in Colombo. With the help of Andrew Armour, a former army officer, Harvard purchased a portion of land in Pettah and established the first Methodist church in the country which incidentally, is the first Methodist church in Asia as well (Pritchard, 2016). The church building called "The Wesleyan Mission House" was completed and opened for worship on 23 December 1816 (Lewis, 1913).

The first sermon at the opening of the church was conducted by Clough and the evening sermon was done by Harvard (Lewis, 1913). The service was attended by the Governor of Ceylon Robert Brownrigg, his wife, and nearly all the principal Europeans in Colombo (Lewis, 1913).

The building
The design of the church is said to be modeled on the Brunswick Chapel in Liverpool and Captain Gualterus Schneider was the master-builder (Lewis, 1913). The entire establishment consisted of a place of worship, a dwelling house for two families, a large school room, printing and book binding offices, a type foundry, and warehouses (Lewis, 1913). The church, as described in the "Government Gazette" was almost an amphitheater, with three rows of elevated seats nearly all around (Lewis, 1913). In 1863, under the direction of Mr. Bough, the arrangement of the seats was altered (Lewis, 1913).

The present building faces south and has a small pillared verandah. Three arch-shaped entrances provide access to the church. A plaque with a note: "The Wesleyan Mission House 1816" is found fixed on the frontal wall of the church. 

The hall of the church is 17 m in length and 13.9 m in width (Rajapakshe et al., 2018). A number of tombstones are found fixed on the floor as well as the walls of the church (Rajapakshe et al., 2018). Monuments commemorating Thomas Coke, William Ault, Margaret Clough (the wife of Benjamin Clough) are found in the church premises (Lewis, 1913).

A protected monument
The ancient Church located in the territory of the Methodist Church, Wella Veediya in Pitakotuwa (Pettah) in the Grama Niladari Division of Pitakotuwa (Pettah) in Colombo Divisional Secretary’s Division is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 20 June 2014.

References
1) Melton, J.G. and Baumann, M. eds., 2010. Religions of the World: A Comprehensive Encyclopedia of Beliefs and Practices, [6 volumes]. abc-clio. p.1868.
2) Lewis, J. P., 1913. List of inscriptions on tombstones and monuments in Ceylon, of historical or local interest with an obituary of persons uncommemorated: Colombo. pp. 127-132.
3) Pritchard, J., 2016. Methodists and their Missionary Societies 1760-1900. Routledge. p.90.
4) Rajapakshe, S.; Bandara, T. M. C.; Vanninayake, R. M. B. T. A. B. (Editors), 2018. Puravidya Sthana Namavaliya: Kolamba Distrikkaya (In Sinhala). Vol. I. Department of Archaeology (Sri Lanka). ISBN: 978-955-7457-19-2. p.31.
5) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. no: 1868. 20 June 2014. p.503.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 11 May 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map


A short note for local school students
පිටකොටුව මෙතොදිස්ත පල්ලිය

පිටකොටුව මෙතොදිස්ත පල්ලිය ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ මෙන්ම ආසියාවේ ඉදිකල පළමු මෙතොදිස්ත පල්ලිය ලෙස සැළකේ.

ඉතිහාසය
ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ මෙතොදිස්ත සභාවේ ඉතිහාසය 19වන සියවසේ මුල් සමය දක්වා දිවෙයි. පළමු මෙතොදිස්ත බිෂොප්වරයා ලෙස සැළකෙන තෝමස් කොක් (9 සැප්තැම්බර් 1747 - 2 මැයි 1814) පෙරදිග ඉන්දීය කලාපයෙහි මෙතොදිස්ත මෙහෙවර ක්‍රියාත්මක කරනු වස් සිය වියදමින් ශ්‍රී ලංකාව කරා යාත්‍රාකිරීම 1813 දෙසැම්බර් 30වන දින තවත් මිෂනාරීවරුන් හයදෙනෙකු (විලියම් ඔල්ට්, බෙන්ජමින් ක්ලෝ, ජෝර්ජ් අර්ස්කයින්, තෝමස් හෝල්, විලියම් මාටින් හාවර්ඩ් හා ජේම්ස් ලින්ච්) සමග ආරම්භ කරන ලදී. කෙසේනමුදු, මෙම නාවුක ගමන අතරතුර රෝගාතුර වූ කොක් මිය ගිය අතර ඔහුගේ දේහය මුහුදු පත්ලෙහි තැම්පත් කෙරුණි. අවසානයේදී හාවර්ඩ් හැරුණු විට (පවුලේ හේතුන් නිසා ඔහු ඉන්දියාවේ බොම්බේ හී නැවතුණි) අනෙකුත් මිෂනාරීවරු පස්දෙනා 1814 ජූනි 29වන දිනදී ගාල්ලට සේන්දු විය.

දිවයිනට සේන්දු වීමෙන් අනතුරුව ඔවුහූ රටෙහි වෙනස් ප්‍රදේශ කරා බෙදී යාමට තීරණය කරන ලදී. ඒ අනූව ලින්ච් හා හෝල් යාපනයටත්, ඔල්ට් මඩකලපුවටත්, අර්ස්කයින් මාතරටත් බෙදී ගිය අතර ක්ලෝ ගාල්ලෙහි නැවතුණි. මේ අතර බොම්බේ හී රැඳී සිටි හාවර්ඩ් ශ්‍රී ලංකාවට පැමිණීමෙන් අනතුරුව කොළඹ සේවයට යෙදවිණි. හිටපු හමුදා නිළදාරියෙක් වූ ඇන්ඩෘ ආමර් ගේ සහයද ඇතිව හාවර්ඩ් විසින් පිටකොටුවේ ඉඩමක් මිලදී ගෙන එහි මෙතොදිස්ත දේවස්ථානයක් ඉදි කරන ලදී. එමගින් එම දේවස්ථානය ශ්‍රී ලංකාවේ හා එසේම (අහම්බෙන්) ආසියාවේ ඉදිකෙරූ පළමු මෙතොදිස්ත දේවස්ථානය බවට පත්විය. 1816 දෙසැම්බර් 23 දිනදී එහි "වෙස්ලියානු මිෂනාරි නිවස" නමින් දෙව් මැදුරක් නමස්කාරය සදහා විවෘත විය.

පුරාවිද්‍යා ස්මාරකය
කොළඹ ප්‍රාදේශීය ලේකම් කොට්ඨාශයේ පිටකොටුව වේල්ල වීදිය පිහිටි පැරණි මෙතොදිස්ත පල්ලිය 2014 ජූනි 20වන දින ප්‍රකාශයට පත් රජයේ ගැසට් නිවේදනය මගින් ආරක්ෂිත පුරාවිද්‍යා ස්මාරකයක් ලෙස නම් කොට ඇත.

0 comments:

Post a Comment