Sunday, October 11, 2020

Balagalla Saraswathi Pirivena

Balagalla Saraswathi Pirivena
Balagalla Saraswathi Pirivena is a Buddhist temple situated in Divulapitiya in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka.

History
The belfry
Balagalla temple was established on 7 February 1897, with the donation of the temple land of about 2 acres to the Buddhist monks of Ramanna Nikaya by Don Migel Jayakody Ralahami, a wealthy person in the area, with the assistance of his wife S.A. Abilina Silva and others. After 6 years, a Piriviena (a monastic college) for the education of monks was commenced in the temple on 7 March 1903 under the main contribution of Don Migel Jayakody Ralahami. The construction works of the image house (opened: 21 April 1904), and the preaching hall (opened: 12 March 1922) that were started with the donations of Don Migel Jayakody Ralahami were finished before his death on 26 October 1924. However, he was unable to complete the library building that was also being built. 

The construction works of the unfinished library were completed by his son D.P Jayakody with the assistance of other donators. He bestowed the library and also a newly built belfry to the temple on 11 March 1928. 

A protected site
The old Vihara-geya of Sarasvathi Pirivena situated in Balagalla village in Divulapitiya Divisional Secretary’s Division is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 18 June 1999. 

Balagalla Saraswathi Pirivena The preaching hall .
References
1) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1085. 18 June 1999.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 11 October 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment