Saturday, October 31, 2020

Giritale Wewa

Giritale Wewa
Giritale Wewa (Giritale Tank) is a reservoir in Girithale in Polonnaruwa District, Sri Lanka.

History
The Giritala Vapi or the Giritala Wewa was constructed during the reign of King Aggabodhi II [(608-618 A.D.) Arumugam, 1969]. Historical sources reveal that King Parakramabahu the Great (777-797 A.D.) restored or enlarged the work (Arumugam, 1969).

The present reservoir was restored in 1905 and it was improved and enlarged during the period 1949-1952 (Arumugam, 1969).

Reservoir
The catchment area serves as the main water source to the reservoir and in addition to that, the water of Amban Ganga comes to the reservoir through the Elahera Dam (Arumugam, 1969). The embankment of the reservoir is 518.16 m long and the water is extending in an area of about 760 acres (Arumugam, 1969). The reservoir has 2 sluices and 1 spill.

Giritale Wewa .
References
1) Arumugam, S., 1969. Water resources of Ceylon: its utilisation and development. Water Resources Board. p.241.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 31 October 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment