Saturday, October 31, 2020

Kaudulla Wewa

Kaudulla Wewa
Kaudulla Wewa (Kaudulla Tank) is a reservoir situated on the fringe of the Kaudulla National Park in Polonnaruwa District, Sri Lanka. Presently, the bed area of the reservoir is very attractive among the visitors where hundreds of elephants could be seen gathered in the dry season (Rathnayake,& Gunawardena, 2014).

History
Identified as the ancient Tissavaddhamanaha-vapi (Rantisava), the Kaudulla tank is one of the 16 celebrated reservoirs constructed by King Mahasena [(276-303 A.D.) Arumugam, 1969; Wikramagamage, 2004]. Historical sources reveal that King Vijayabahu (1055-1110 A.D.) repaired and restored the work (Arumugam, 1969). It was improved later by King Parakramabahu the Great [(1153-1186 A.D.) Arumugam, 1969].

The present reservoir was renovated in 1960  (Wikramagamage, 2004).

Reservoir
The reservoir is fed by the drainage from the own catchment and the flood flow from Gal Oya and Alut Oya streams and from the flood flow from the Minneriya reservoir through the Aggala Wan Oya (Arumugam, 1969). The reservoir has 1 sluice and 1 spill (Arumugam, 1969; Wikramagamage, 2004).

References
1) Arumugam, S., 1969. Water resources of Ceylon: its utilisation and development. Water Resources Board. p.245.
2) Wikramagamage, C., 2004. Heritage of Rajarata: Major natural, cultural, and historic sites. Colombo. Central Bank of Sri Lanka. p.269. 
3) Rathnayake, R.M.W. and Gunawardena, U.A.D.P., 2014. Enjoying elephant watching: a study on social carrying capacity of Kawdulla National Park in Sri Lanka. Sabaragamuwa University Journal, 12(1). pp.23-39.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 3 November 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment