Sunday, December 20, 2020

Negombo Fort

Negombo Fort Negombo Fort is an old fort situated in Negombo in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka.

History
The fort was built by the Portuguese to defend Colombo (Mandawala, 2012). It was captured and destroyed by the Dutch in 1640. It was rebuilt by them, not on the usual square plan, but on a pentagonal one, though it had only four bulwarks (Mandawala, 2012). However, with the advent of the British,  the fort was lost to the Dutch in 1796 (Mandawala, 2012).
 
The site
The fort had been built near the Negombo Lagoon. At present only part of the walls and an arched gateway of the fort remain at the site (Mandawala, 2012). Above the gateway, a slab of granite depicting the date 1678 can be seen. The site is used as a prison by the Department of Prisons.
 
A protected site
The approach Gate and the Ramparts of the Dutch Fort situated in the Negombo Court approach road in the Grama Niladhari Wasama No. 156A, Uturmunnakkaraya in the Negombo Divisional Secretary’s Division are archaeological protected monuments, declared by a government gazette notification published on 22 July 2011. 

References
1) Mandawala, P.B., 2012. Sri Lanka: Defending the military heritage; legal, administrative and financial challenges. Defending the military heritage; legal, financial, and administrative issues. Reports from the Seminar 16 – 17 May, 2011, in Karlskrona, Sweden, organised by ICOMOS International Scientific Committee for Legal, Financial and Administrative Issues (ICLAFI) and the Swedish Fortifications Agency of Sweden. p.101.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1716. 22 July 2011.p.512.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 26 December 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment