Thursday, February 25, 2021

Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya

Grand Hotel, Nuwara Eliya
The Grand Hotel is a star-class hotel situated in Nuwara Eliya District, Sri Lanka.

History
On 11 August 1828, Sir Edward Barnes, the then British Governor of Ceylon (1824-1831 A.D), mandated a home for the British residents in Nuwara Eliya and in the next year (1829) he established his residence also there, by the name "Barnes Hall" (Abeyawardana, 2004). In 1831, Barnes left Sri Lanka and the home fell into the hands of his successor, Sir Robert Wilmot-Horton (governed: 1831-1837 A.D.). In 1843, the Barnes hall was purchased by Reginald Beauchamp Downall, a British plantation owner and member of the Legislative Council of Ceylon. He operated it as a guest house until the property was sold to the Nuwara Eliya Hotels company in 1891, who converted the guest house to the present Grand Hotel. 

A protected monument
The building known as “Grand Hotel” bearing Assessment No. 17, in Grand Hotel Road in the Administrative Limits of Nuwara Eliya Municipal Council in Nuwara Eliya Divisional Secretariat Division is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 23 February 2007. 


References
1) Abeyawardana, H.A.P., 2004. Heritage of Kandurata: Major natural, cultural and historic sites. Colombo: The Central Bank of Sri Lanka. pp.211.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, no: 1486. 23 February 2007. p.127.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 28 February 2021
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment