Friday, May 14, 2021

Gelanigama Ambalama

Gelanigama Ambalama
Photo credit: Google street view

The Gelanigama Ambalama is an old wayside rest located near Gelanigama expressway exit in Bandaragama in Kalutara District, Sri Lanka.

History
Ambalamas are traditional resting places built by locals to accommodate wayfarers who were travelling to distant places. They were also used as a place for people to gather, hold meetings and serve as a public place in society. During the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, Ambalamas were spread all over the country. The Gelanigama Ambalama is believed to be one such building constructed more than one hundred years ago. An inscribed stone slab that is fixed onto the inner-rear wall of the Ambalama mentions the year 1851.

The structure
The Ambalama is square in shape and has been made of brick and mortar. The pitched roof is held by 4 pillars at the corners. By connecting these pillars, a short wall runs around the building.

Gelanigama Ambalama slab inscription
This inscribed slab is found fixed onto the inner-rear wall of the Ambalama. The inscription on it consists of 8 lines of writing.

Period: 19th century A.D.                  Script: Modern Sinhala                  Language: Modern Sinhala
Content: This inscription mentions that a person named Hewage Koranelis Appu who was residing at Gelanigama had donated a land on 18 June 1851, to obtain Nibbana (or the Supreme Bliss) and to confer merit to all others.
References: Gamage, 2020.

References
1) Gamage, D.P., 2020. Epigraphical Notes (Nos. 22-23). Department of Archaeology. ISBN: 978-955-7457-30-7. pp.27-28.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 2 January 2022
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment