Monday, December 6, 2021

Uduwawala Ambalama

Uduwawala Ambalama
Uduwawala Ambalama (Photo credit: Google street view)

The Uduwawala Ambalama is an old wayside rest in Kandy District, Sri Lanka. It is situated at the junction where the Katugastota-Medawala road meets Nikathenna road.

History
Ambalamas are traditional resting places built by locals to accommodate wayfarers who were travelling to distant places. They were also used as a place for people to gather, hold meetings and serve as a public place in society. During the 16th, 17th and 18th centuries, Ambalamas were spread all over the country.

The structure
The Uduwawala Ambalama is roughly a square-shaped structure built of brick and mortar. The roof which is covered with semi-cylindrical clay tiles known as Sinhala-Ulu is held by 7 round brick pillars. Connecting these pillars, a short wall goes around the structure. The seats inside the Ambalama are made in different heights probably due to the caste differences that prevailed at the time of its construction. 
 
The building was completely destroyed in 2017 due to a vehicle accident. It was reconstructed in 2021 with the finacial help of villagers.

A protected monument
The Uduwawela Ambalama of Uduwawela village situated within the region of No. 418 Grama Niladhari Wasama of Uduwawela North in the Harispatthuwa Divisional Secretariat Division is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government notification published on 13 February 2009.

References
1) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1589. 13 February 2009. p.192.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 1 January 2022
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment