Saturday, 24 December 2022

Mahabodhi Agrasrawaka Maha Viharaya

Mahabodhi Agrasrawaka Maha Viharaya
Mahabodhi Agrasrawaka Maha Viharaya (Photo credit: Google Street View)

Mahabodhi Agrasrawaka Viharaya (Sinhala: මහාබෝධි අග්‍රශ්‍රාවක විහාරය, මාළිගාකන්ද) is a Buddhist temple located wayside of Sumangala Mawatha in Maligakanda in Colombo District, Sri Lanka.

History
In order to restore regain control of the Mahabodhi Temple at Bodh Gaya, India, a society named "Mahabodhi Society" was founded in Colombo in 1891 by several Buddhist leaders including Anagarika Dharmapala (1864-1933) and Ven. Hikkaduwe Sri Sumangala (1827-1911). Two original buildings belonging to this society have been established at this temple (Manathunga, 2016).

The temple was started to be known as Agrasrawaka Viharaya after the relic exhibition of Arhat Sariputta and Moggallana (the two chief disciples of Gautama Buddha) that was held at this temple premises in 1918 (Manathunga, 2016).

A protected site
Maha Bodhi Viharaya at Maligakanda in Colombo Divisional Secretariat Division is an archaeological protected site, declared by a government gazette notification published on 18 June 1999.

References
1) Manathunga, S. B., 2016. Pauranika Sthana Saha Smaraka: Kolamba Distrikkaya (In Sinhala). Department of Archaeology (Sri Lanka). ISBN: 955-9159-39-9. p.63.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1085. 18 June 1999.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 24 December 2022

0 comments:

Post a Comment