Friday, March 23, 2018

Ganeuda Purana Raja Maha Viharaya, Warakagoda

Warakagoda Ganeuda Purana Viharaya, Sri Lanka
Ganeuda Purana Raja Maha Viharaya at Warakagoda in Kalutara District is a Buddhist temple and an archaeological site with a history belonging to the Polonnaruwa period (1056-1236 A.D.).

History
In the 12th century AD, Manabharana is credited with the construction of a palace on this area (Abeywardana, 2002). The remaining ruins of the building with carved stone pillars in the present Ganeuda temple premises is considered to be that palace. Near to the palace is an another building with stone pillars, believed to be an old temple of tooth used to shelter the Tooth relic of Buddha.

A protected site
The ancient stone pillars, access road with flight of steps in the temple territory and the rocks with ancient letters and other archaeological signs found by both side of the road within the land called Ganeudawatta adjoining the the premises of Warakagoda Ganeuda Purana Rajamaha Vihara belonging to the Grama Niladhari Division No. 816, Warakagoda East in the Divisional Secretary’s Division of Madurawala are archaeological protected monuments, declared by the government Gazette notifications published on 16 June 1944, 17 May 2013 and 7 July 2016.  
Warakagoda Ganeuda Purana Viharaya, Sri Lanka Warakagoda Ganeuda Purana Viharaya, Sri Lanka
Warakagoda Ganeuda Purana Viharaya, Sri Lanka Warakagoda Ganeuda Purana Viharaya, Sri Lanka
References
1) Abeywardana, H.A.P., 2002. Heritage of Sabaragamuwa - Major Natural, Cultural and Historic Sites. Colombo: The Central Bank of Sri Lanka, pp.111-112. 
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, no: 9282, 16 June 1944. 
3) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, no: 1811, 17 May 2013, p.423. 
4) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka: Extraordinary. No: 1974/16. 7 July 2016. p.5A.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 2 June 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment