Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Gothami Viharaya

The image house of Gothami Viharaya
Gothami Viharaya is a Buddhist temple situated in Borella, Colombo District, Sri Lanka.

History
Gothami Viharaya was established in 1990, with the donation of temple land to the Rev. Dodanduwa Sri Piyarathana thero by Mrs. A. de Soysa Pieris, the mother of Sir James Pieris who is considered a prominent figure in the Sri Lanka’s independence movement.

After about 40 years, with the guidance of Rev. Telwatte Amarawamsa thero and the invitation of Mr. Harald Pieris, George Keyt painted the outer walls of the ambulatory of image house with episodes depicting the life of Buddha. The paintings of traditional Punkalasa at the front door and the floral designs on the pedestal around the inner wall have been done by the well known artist Manju Sri.

A protected site
The Viharageya (image house) with ancient paintings and sculpture belonging to Gothami Vihara in the village of Gothamipura situated in the Grama Niladhari Division of Gothamipura bearing number 87 in the Divisional Secretariat Division of Thimbirigasyaya is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 6 July 2007.

Read the article in Sinhalese.
George Keyt's paintings at Gothami Viharaya Stupa of Gothami Viharaya
George Keyt's paintings at Gothami Viharaya Manju Sri's paintings at Gothami Viharaya
References
1) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1505. 6 July 2007. p.549.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 9 August 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment