Sunday, April 1, 2018

Aluthepola Ganekanda Raja Maha Viharaya

Aluthepola Ganekanda Raja Maha Viharaya, Sri Lanka
Aluthepola Ganekanda Raja Maha Viharaya (also known as Aluthepola Pansala) is a Buddhist temple situated in Gampaha District, Sri Lanka.

History
The temple is thought to have come into existence during the 18th century (Piyarathana, 2013). An old manuscript found in the temple gives an account about the lands given to the temple by a Dutch officer in 1796. However, existence of a drip-ledged cave in the temple premises indicate that this temple has its roots extending to a very early period, probably to Anuradhapura era (377 B.C.-1017 A.D.). 

A protected site
The old survey tower located in the temple premises of Ganekanda Vihara in Aluthepola village in the Divisional Secretariot Division of Divulapitiya is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government Gazette notification published on 22 November 2002.

The old survey towerThe image house
.
References
1) Piyarathana, L., 2013. A bibliographical survey of the palm leaf manuscripts in Ridiviharaya in Kurunegala District & Aluthepola Ganekanda temple, Gampaha District.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, no: 1264, 22 November 2002.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 27 September 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment