Buddhism and Sri Lanka

According to Sri Lankan chronicles, Buddhism was introduced to Sri Lanka in the 3rd century B.C. by Arhant Mahinda, during the reign of King Devanampiya Tissa.

Sri Lankan Inscriptions

The earliest trace of epigraphy in South Asia is said to be found in Sri Lanka. A piece of pottery, dated to circa the 4th century B.C. have been discovered from the Anuradhapura citadel.

Architecture of Sri Lanka

The architecture of Sri lanka has a long history and shows diversed forms and styles, mainly infuenced by their religions and traditional beliefs.

Sri Lankan Antiquities

Inherited from the past, Sri Lanka has a large number of antiques with cultural and historical significance which reflects the glory of past era.

Visit Sri Lanka

Located in the northern waters of the Indian Ocean, Sri Lanka is an island blessed with a large number of attractons which has made the country an ideal destination for the tourism.

Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Nuwara Eliya Hatton National Bank Building

Nuwara Eliya Hatton National Bank Building, Sri Lanka
Nuwara Eliya Hatton National Bank Building is an old building located in Queen Elizabeth Drive in the Administrative Limits of Nuwara Eliya Municipal Council in Nuwara Eliya District, Sri Lanka. 

History
The bank building bears British architectural features but details about its construction date is unclear (Wijesinghe, 2015). On the wall above some of the windows is a logo of three letters, INB denoting the abbreviation stand for Indian National Bank. Therefore, it can be assumed that this building was originally established by the Indian National Bank during the British colonial period in the country. Presently, the building is maintained by the Hatton National Bank (HNB) who occupied it in 1971.

A protected monument
The Hatton National Bank Building bearing Assessment No. 42 in the Nuwara Eliya Administrative Limits is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 23 February 2007. 

References
1) Wijesinghe, T.K., 2015. Pauranika Sthana Saha Smaraka: Nuwara Eliya Distrikkaya (In Sinhalese). Department of Archaeology (Sri Lanka). ISBN: 955-9159-36-4. p.84.
2) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, no: 1486. 23 February 2007. p.126.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 22 June 2019

Kantaka Cetiya

Kantaka Cetiya, Mihintale, Sri Lanka
Kantaka Cetiya (also known as Kanthaka Dagoba/Chethiya) is a Stupa located in the ancient Buddhist complex monastery of Mihintale, Anuradhapura District, Sri Lanka. The Stupa is notable as it has best and the most ancient ornamental frontispieces (Vahalkada) found in the country.

History
One of the two inscriptions mentioning the name of King Mahadhathika Mahanaga (9-21 A.D.) at Mihintale is found in a rock surface near the Kantaka Stupa (Sirisoma, 1990). This inscription records about the donations made to the Kataca Ceta (Kantaka Cetiya) by two kings, King Tisa (Bhathika Tissa) and King Naka [(Mahadhathika Mahanaga) Sirisoma, 1990]. From the Stupa name given in this inscription it has been believed that the Stupa now called as Kantaka Cetiya is the same as the Kantaka Cetiya mentioning in the Great Chronicle, Mahawamsa.
Kantaka Cetiya Rock Inscription Kantaka Cetiya Rock Inscription
Scripts      : Later Brahmi
Language : Old Sinhala
Content : The great King Bhatikatissa gave the
revenues  from   the  land  and  water  taxes  of
Kabavika tank to the Kantaka Cetiya. The great
King Mahadathika Mahanaga having purchased
Balayatha-Gamakavi  tank gave  to the Kantaka
Cetiya  the  revenues  from  the  land and water
taxes.
Reference : The information board at the site
by the Department of Archaeology and Ministry
of National Heritage and Cultural Affairs
Kantaka Cetiya Cave Inscription
Period : 3rd Century B.C.-1st Century A.D.
Scripts      : Early Brahmi
Language : Old Sinhala
Transcript : Parumaka Naga puta Asaliya 
lene agata anagata catudisika sagaye
Translation : The  cave  of Asali, son  of
the chief Naga is donated  to the Sangha
of  the four quarters, present and absent
Reference :  Paranavitana, S., 1970; The
information   board   at   the  site   by  the
Department of Archaeology and Ministry
of National Heritage and Cultural Affairs
Kantaka Cetiya Cave Inscription
According to Mahawamsa, King Devanampiya Tissa (307-367 B.C.) had refurbished sixty eight caves (present Ataseta Len) in the neighborhood of the Kantaka Cetiya for the use of the monks headed by Arhant Mahinda. Also, during the reign of King Lajja Tissa (119-109 B.C.) a Chatra stone (a stone umbrella) had been added to the Stupa. 

Stupa
Kantaka Cetiya Stupa is 40 ft in height and has a peripheral length of about 425 ft. Frontispieces which are at the cardinal points of the Stupa are formed of horizontal bands separated by string-courses (left photograph). The flank of the frontispieces is adorned with limestone stelaes which contain the oldest specimens of the plastic art of the country (Paranavitana, 1950). The stone works of Kantaka Cetiya are dated to about the beginning of the Christian era. Two terracotta figures belonging to the 5th century have also been found in the temple premises (Paranavitana, 1950).

References
1) Paranavitana, S., 1950. Sinhalese Art and Culture. Journal of the Royal Society of Arts, 98(4822), pp.588-605.
2) Paranavitana, S., 1970. Inscription of Ceylon: Volume I: Early Brahmi Inscriptions. Department of Archaeology Ceylon. p.2.
3) Sirisoma, M.H.; [Wijesekera, N (Editor in chief)], 1990. Brahmi inscriptions of Sri Lanka from 3rd century B.C. to 65 A.D. Archaeological department centenary (1890-1990): Inscriptions. Commissioner of Archaeology. pp.28, 35.

Location Map

Saturday, October 20, 2018

Galle Trilingual Slab Inscription

Galle Trilingual Slab Inscription, Sri Lanka
The Galle Trilingual Slab Inscription is a stone slab containing inscriptions engraved in three languages, Chinese, Persian and Tamil and considered as an important cultural relic of the ancient Silk route of the sea. The inscription is now exhibited in the Transitional Period Gallery of the National Museum of Colombo, Sri Lanka.

Discovery
The slab was discovered in 1911 by H. F. Tomalin (the then Provincial Engineer at Galle of Southern Province) at a culvert near the turn of Cripps road within the Galle municipal area (Pathmanathan, 2005; Peraera, 1913). When it was discovered, the stone is said to be used as a cover stone of the culvert with the engraved side downward (Perera, 1913). The stone was later moved to Colombo National Museum (Pathmanathan, 2005).

History
This trilingual inscription bears the date 15 February 1409, indicating its inscribed date in China. It was carved in Nanjing, the then capital city of China in the seventh reigning year of Yongle Empire [(or Yung Lo (1402-1424)] of the Ming Dynasty. It was brought to Sri Lanka by the great navigator Zheng He [also known as Cheng Ho (1371-1433)] during his third voyage [1409-1411 (it was the second voyage under his leadership)] to countries (Dewaraja, 2006). After landing followed by a trade fair at the Galle harbour he installed the trilingual inscription as a commemorative tablet in order to highlight the majesty and benevolence of the Ming empire (Dewaraja, 2006).

Inscription
The three inscriptions have been engraved on one side of the slab and bordered by a floral chain. The top part of the inscription is round in shape and adorned with a carving of two dragons facing each other. The slab is about 4ft. 9in. in length, 2 ft. 6 in. in breadth and 5 in. in thickness (Paranavitana, 1933). The right portion of the slab is occupied by the Chinese inscription, the left upper part by the Tamil inscription and the rest is by the Persian inscription.

The Chinese record which is the best preserved inscription was deciphered and translated by E. Blackhouse (Pathmanathan, 2005). It contains the blessings to the Lord Buddha and a list of offering alms bestowed by Cheng Ho, Wang Chin Lien and others at the shrine of the Buddhist temple in the Mountain of Sri Lanka. The Tamil inscription of which language contains linguistic difficulties (Paranavitana, 1933) evokes the Hindu divinities and mentions about the ritual items sent to Sri Lanka for worship of Tenavarai Nayanar. The name Tenavarai, according to Senarth Paranavitana, is the Tamil form of the Sinhalese Devinuwara [the City of God (modern Devundara)] and Nayanar is the Tamil word used to denote the God/lord (Paranavitana, 1933). In Mahawamsa, Devinuwara is mentioned as the center of the cult of the deity Uppalavanna who is currently identified with God Vishnu. The Persian inscription is largely defaced and readable parts contain about blessings of the light of Islam and a number of offerings might have been made to Allah, Prophet or some Muslim priest. The clear translation of the Chinese inscription has helped in deciphering of the other two inscriptions, Tamil (which contains linguistic difficulties) and Persian [(which is badly warn out) Dewaraja, 2006]. 

The inscription contain no Sinhalese part, the majority language of Sri Lanka. This is because, the records were intended by the admirals and other sailors (Chinese Buddhists, Tamil speaking Indian Hindus and Muslim sailors) who came in ships from outside to express their thanksgiving to the masters of respective religions (Dewaraja, 2006).

References 
1) Dewaraja, L., 2006. Cheng Ho's Visits to Sri Lanka and the Galle Trilingual Inscription in the National Museum in Colombo. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society of Sri Lanka, 52, pp.59-74.
2) Pathmanathan, S., 2005. Tamil inscriptions in the Colombo National Museum: Spolia Zeylanica. Vol 47. (2010). Department of National Museums, Sri Lanka, pp.53-67.
3) Paranavitana, S., 1933. The Tamil inscription on the Galle Trilingual Slab. Epigraphia Zeylanica (Vol. III). pp.331-341.
4) Perera, E. W., 1913. The Galle Trilingual Slab. Spolia Zeylanica (Vol. VIII). pp.122-131.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 28 June 2019

Satmahal Prasada

Satmahal Prasada, Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka
Satmahal Prasada (lit: The seven storied palace) is a square pyramidal shaped building located in the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka. It has been built at outside of the north-eastern corner wall of Dalada Maluwa (the Sacred-quadrangle) and close to the slab inscription, Gal Potha

History
The great chronicle Mahavamsa mentions that King Parakramabahu the Great (1153-1186 A.D.) built a seven storied mansion (Sathmahal Prasada) in Polonnaruwa but which is not believed to be this building as there are no positive evidences to verify the relation between this building and the fact given in the chronicle.Wat Kukut in Lumphun in Thailand Still, the ancient name and the builder of this monument are not known. According to the features it possess this edifice is believed to be belonged to the 12th century (Paranavitana, 1960). 

Structure
Satmahal Prasada has been built in the stepped pyramidal form, rising from a square base about 9 m of each side and is considered as a special type of Stupa. A similar structure of the same design, has been found in northern Thailand which is a Stupa (Cetiya) named Mahabala according to a 12th century inscription (Paranavitana, 1960). The Stupa at Wat Kukut in Lumphun in northern Thailand (right photograph) bears closer architectural similarities to that of Satmahal Prasada. 

Satmahal Prasada is also considered as one of architectural examples for South-East Asian influence in Sri Lanka (Reynolds, 1981).

Attribution
1) Wat-Kukut-Lamphun-1 by Ddalbiez is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0, CC BY-SA 2.5, CC BY-SA 2.0 and CC BY-SA 1.0.

References
1) Paranavitana, S., Ray, H. C. (Editor in chief), (1960). Civilization of the Polonnaru period (continued): Religion, literature and art. University of Ceylon: History of Ceylon (Vol. I, Part II). Ceylon University Press. pp. 595-596.
2) Reynolds, C.H.B., (1981). Sri Lanka and South-East Asia: political, religious, and cultural relations from ad c. 1000 to c. 1500. By WM Sirisena. pp. xiv, 186, 8 pl., map. Leiden, EJ Brill, 1978. Guilders 68. Journal of the Royal Asiatic Society, 113(1), pp.104-105.
3)The information board at the site by the Department of Archaeology.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 5 October 2019