Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Abhaya Wewa

Abhaya Wewa or Abhayavapi (also known as Basawakkulama) is an old tank located in Anuradhapura, Sri Lanka.

According to historical sources such as Mahawamsa (Chap:10, V.88), King Pandukabhaya (437–367 B.C.), the grandson of Panduwasa Deva (504 – 474 B.C.), constructed the Abhaya tank at Anuradhapura in the 4th century B.C. (Seneviratna, 1991).

Basavakkulama pillar inscription of King Sena II (853-887)
A pillar inscription belonging to the 9th century A.D. was discovered on the bund of the present tank (Ranawella, 2005). It is now kept at the inscription gallery of Colombo National Museum.

The inscription records about a decree issued by King Sena II, prohibiting illegal fishing in Abaya-wewa (Ranawella, 2005).

Abhaya Wewa pillar inscription of Queen Lilavati (1197-1200)
This pillar inscription was also found on the bund of the Abhaya Wewa at Anuradhapura (Muller, 1984; Ranawella, 2005). It is now on the display at the inscription gallery of Colombo National Museum.

The inscription records about a land grant made by a gentleman named Lag Vijayasingu Kit, the prime minister of the Queen Lilavati, to the monks who were living in the monastery named Ruvan-paya (Ranawella, 2005).

Abhayavapi (after restoration in 1874)

Area of tank : 1235 acres
Capacity : 1580 acre feet
Depth : 15 1/2 feet
Length of bund : 3/4 mile
Length of feeder channel : 1/4 mile
from Tissa Wewa L.L. sluice  
No. of sluices : one
No. of spills : one
1) Muller, E., 1984. Ancient Inscriptions in Ceylon. Asian Educational Services. New Delhi. pp.69-70.
2) Ranawella, S. (Ed.), 2005. Sinhala inscriptions in the Colombo National Museum: Spolia Zeylanica. Vol 42. (2005). Department of National Museums, Sri Lanka. pp.10-14,97-99.
2) Seneviratna, A., 1991. The Ritualization of Space in Buddhist Architecture in Sri Lanka. Concepts of Space: Ancient and Modern. p.372.
Location Map

This page was last updated on 9 June 2019


Post a Comment