Sunday, June 7, 2020

Panduwasnuwara Raja Maha Viharaya

Panduwasnuwara Tempita Viharaya
Panduwasnuwara Raja Maha Viharaya (also known as Pandukabhaya Pirivena) is a Buddhist temple situated in the ancient city of Panduwasnuwara in Kurunegala District, Sri Lanka.

The temple is situated among the ruins of ancient Parakramapura (presently called Panduwasnuwara), the city of Dakkhinadesa founded by King Parakramabahu the Great (1153-1186 A.D.) when he was the sub-king of this territory (Nicholas, 1963). The temple consists of a number of old monuments including a Kandyan era Tempita Vihara, and several pillar inscriptions belonging to the 9-10th centuries A.D.

Tempita Viharaya
Tempita Viharas (the temples on pillars) were a popular aspect of many Buddhist temples during the Kandyan period. These structures were usually built on a wooden platform resting on bare stone pillars or stumps which are about 1-4 feet tall. The roof is generally made of timber and held by wooden stumps and walls made of wattle and daub. Wattle walls make the main enclosed shrine room containing the Buddhist sculptures and murals belonging to the Kandyan style. Some Tempita Viharas have narrow verandas and ambulatories circulating the main enclosed space. Construction of these buildings was started in the 17th century and lasted until the end of the 19th century (Wijayawardhana, 2010).

The Panduwasnuwara Tempita Viharaya has been built upon 16 granite pillars of about 3 feet tall and can be accessed through a wooden flight of steps. The roof is four-sided and paved with flat clay tiles. In front of the Tempita Viharaya is a Mandapa with a two-sided roof held by 6 granite pillars.

The inside walls of the Tempita Viharaya are adorned with the paintings and sculptures belonging to the Kandyan tradition. The main sculpture is a seated Buddha statue in the posture of Bumi-Sparsha Mudra. Two standing images of Buddha are also found on the left and south side of the shrine room.

Inscriptions
Pillar inscription near the Bodhi-tree of Panduwasnuwara Vihara
PanduwasnuwaraReign : Udaya II (887-898 A.D.)
Period: 9th century A.D.
Script & language: Medieval Sinhala
Content: This records about an immunity grant made by the royal officers to the two villages named Nagala and Naranvita of the Kapugama District on the 10th day of the waxing moon in the month of Bak (March-April) during the 7th regnal year of King Udaya II. Also includes a decree preventing royal officers on state duty entering the villages.
Reference: The information board at the site by the Department of Archaeology and the Ministry of National Heritage.

Panduwasnuwara pillar inscription of Dappula IV
This inscription has been brought to the temple from a place nearby sometime before the year 1912 (Ranawella, 2004). The four-sided pillar is 6.5 ft high and its capital ends with a vase-shaped carving (Ranawella, 2004). Writings are found on all the four sides of the pillar.
Reign : Dappula IV (923-935 A.D.)
Period: 10th century A.D.
Script & language: Medieval Sinhala
Content: This inscription records about some grant of immunities by a Mahapa named Uda (Udaya) in respect of some lands owned by a monastery named Salameyvan-raj Kapugam Pirivena situated in a region named Riha-bima of the Southern Quarter and affiliated to the Maha Vihara (in Anuradhapura)
References: Ranawella, 2004.

A protected site
The Dalada Maligawa (the Temple of the Tooth) building located in Panduwasnuwara Raja Maha Vihara premises in the Divisional Secretary’s Division, Hettipola is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government Gazette notification published on 13 March 1970.

Panduwasnuwara Viharaya Panduwasnuwara Temple of the Tooth Ruins of Panduwasnuwara Viharaya
.
References
1) Nicholas, C. W., 1963. Historical topography of ancient and medieval Ceylon. Journal of the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, New Series (Vol VI). Special Number: Colombo. Royal Asiatic Society (Ceylon Branch). p.104.
2) Ranawella, G.S., 2004. Inscription of Ceylon: Containing pillar inscriptions and slab inscriptions from 924 AD to 1017. Volume V, Part II. Department of Archaeology. ISBN: 955-9159-30-5. pp.90-92.
3) Wijayawardhana, K., 2010. Sri Lankawe Tampita Vihara (In Sinhala). Dayawansa Jayakody & Company. Colombo. ISBN: 978-955-551-752-2. p. 12.
4) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 14897. 13 March 1970.

Location Map

This page was last updated on 25 July 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map

0 comments:

Post a Comment