Sunday, November 8, 2020

Konduwatuwana Wewa and Archaeological Ruins

Konduwatuwana Wewa
Konduwatuwana Wewa (also written as Kondavattavan or Kandewattavana) is a reservoir situated in Ampara District, Sri Lanka.

The present reservoir is said to have been constructed under the Pattipola Aru Scheme; now incorporated in the Gal Oya Scheme (Arumugam, 1969). It was restored in 1912 (Arumugam, 1969).

Archaeological ruins
A site with the ruins of an ancient Buddhist monastery is found within the premises of Sri Lanka Army Combat Training School located near the Konduwatuwana reservoir. Ruined buildings with stone pillars, old bricks, Siripatula stones, and inscriptions are found among the ruins (Medhananda, 2003; Vithanachchi, 2013). The circular stone slab containing a mark of Siripatula (Pada-lanchana-gala) is considered as a rare artifact (Medhananda, 2003). The diameter of this stone is 2 ft 6 in and the print of Siripatula has been carved in the middle of it (Medhananda, 2003).

There are also some sites around the Konduwatuwana reservoir with archaeological ruins including inscriptions (Vithanachchi, 2013). These ruined sites may or may not have formed a single monastery in ancient times (Nicholas, 1963). Inscriptions belonging to the pre-Christian and early centuries A.D. have been recorded from these sites and one of them gives the ancient name of the monastery as "Ahali-araba-vihara" (Nicholas, 1963).

Konduwatuwana pillar inscription
A pillar containing a Sinhala inscription dated in the 10the regnal year of King Dappula IV (923-935 A.D.) was discovered near the Konduwatuwana reservoir in 1953 (Nicholas, 1963; Ranawella, 2004). It records about certain immunities granted by the king in respect of a village named "Äragama" (present Konduwatuwana) located in the region of "Metera-Digamandulla", the revenue of which were enjoyed at the time by a Senevirad (a Commander-in-Chief) named Dandanayaka Sangva Rakus (Nicholas, 1963; Ranawella, 2004). It also contains certain regulations regarding the revenue and judicial administration of that village (Ranawella, 2004).

Except the drainage from its own catchment area, a channel from Himidurawa Wewa supplies water to the Konduwatuwana reservoir (Arumugam, 1969). The bund of the reservoir is 4500 ft long and the water is extending in an area of about 880 acres at its full supply level (Arumugam, 1969). The reservoir has 1 sluice and 2 spills and supplies water to the Ampara Wewa and to Walathapitiya Wewa (Arumugam, 1969).

A protected site
The place with the ruins of ancient buildings in the area called Konduwatuwan belonging to Govikandawura village situated in Grama Niladhari Division No. W/86/K 060 Kotawehera in the Divisional Secretary’s Division Ampara is an archaeological protected site, declared by a government gazette notification published on 10 October 2014.

Konduwatuwana Wewa .
1) Arumugam, S., 1969. Water resources of Ceylon: its utilisation and development. Water Resources Board. p.168.
2) Medhananda, Ven. Ellawala, 2003. Pacheena passa - Uttara passa: Negenahira palata ha uturu palate Sinhala bauddha urumaya (In Sinhala). Dayawansa Jayakody & Company. Colombo. ISBN: 978-955-686-112-9. p.179.
3) Nicholas, C. W., 1963. Historical topography of ancient and medieval Ceylon. Journal of the Ceylon Branch of the Royal Asiatic Society, New Series (Vol VI). Special Number: Colombo. Royal Asiatic Society (Ceylon Branch). pp.28-29.
4) Ranawella, G.S., 2004. Inscription of Ceylon. Volume V, Part II. Department of Archaeology. ISBN: 955-9159-30-5. pp.73-78.
5) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka, no: 1884. 10 October 2014, p. 921.
6) Vithanachchi, C. R., 2013. Pauranika Sthana Saha Smaraka: Ampara Distrikkaya (In Sinhala). Department of Archaeology (Sri Lanka). ISBN: 955-9159-44-5.  pp.39-40.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 8 November 2020
For a complete tourist map follow this link: Lankapradeepa Tourist Map


Post a Comment