Sunday, 4 December 2022

Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya

Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya (Sinhala: පල්කුඹුර රජමහා විහාරය) is a Buddhist temple situated in Halloluwa village in Kandy District, Sri Lanka.

History
The temple is believed to have been constructed by King Senarath (1604-1635 A.D.) of the Kandyan Kingdom (Abeyawardana, 2004). It was renovated during the reigns of King Narendrasinha [(1707-1739 A.D.) Abeyawardana, 2004]. King Sri Vikrama Rajasinha (1798-1815 A.D.) is said to have offered the temple to Kobbekaduwe Sri Nivasa Thera in 1804 (Abeyawardana, 2004).

Palkumbura Sannasa which deals with the history of this temple claims that the temple was established during the reign of King Senarath (Seneviratna, 1983). 

The image house
The image house of Palkumbura Viharaya is notable as it bears Dravidian architectural elements (Abeyawardana, 2004; Seneviratna, 1983). It is a stone construction in the form of a Gedige (Abeyawardana, 2004). The superstructure of it is similar to the Gadaladeniya Viharaya and is accommodated within a large enclosure (Abeyawardana, 2004). The Digge has intricate wood carvings with brackets (Seneviratna, 1983).

A protected site
The Gedige-type image house of Palkumbura Raja Maha Viharaya situated in Palkumbura village in the Katugastota Divisional Secretary’s Division is an archaeological protected monument, declared by a government gazette notification published on 22 November 2002.
 
References
1) Abeyawardana, H.A.P., 2004. Heritage of Kandurata: Major natural, cultural and historic sites. Colombo: The Central Bank of Sri Lanka. p.104.
2) Seneviratna, A, 1983. Kandy: An Illustrated Survey of Ancient Monuments, with Historical, Archaeological, and Literary Descriptions Including Maps of the City and Its Suburbs. Central Cultural Fund. Ministry of Cultural Affairs. p.158.
3) The Gazette of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka. No: 1264. 22 November 2002.

Location Map
This page was last updated on 4 December 2022

0 comments:

Post a Comment