Saturday, October 5, 2019

Lankathilaka Pilimage, Polonnaruwa

Lankathilaka Image House, Polonnaruwa
The Lankathilaka Pilimage/ Pilima Geya (or Lankatilaka image house) is a Gedige (vaulted) type image house located in the ancient city of Polonnaruwa, Sri Lanka. It is considered as the largest image house constructed in ancient Sri Lanka.

History
Lankathilaka Image House, Polonnaruwa
Constructed by King Parakramabahu the great (1153-1186 A.D.), Lankatilaka image house was belonged to the Alahana Pirivena monastery (Wikramagamage, 2004). Epigraphical evidences are there to prove that this image house had been renovated during the reign of King Vijayabahu IV [(1270-1272 A.D.) Dambadeniya Period].

Image House
The image house which is said to be consisted of five storeys, has been completely built out of bricks including the roof. As in the case of Tivanka Pilimage, the ground plan of Lankathilake image house mainly consists of three parts, viz: the sanctum, the vestibule, and the entrance porch. 

The entrance porch of this image house faces the east. A flight of steps associated with two Korawak Gal (balustrades) and two Muragal (guard stones) can be seen at the beginning of the entrance. The balustrades and guard stones have been decorated with ornate carvings and some believe that the low-relief figure carved in the guard stones represent Dratarastra Maharaja, the lord of the east (Wikramagamage, 2004). Also, the woman figure presenting on the inner side of the balustrade (see the photograph under the "Inscription" section), according to some, is the wife of Dratarastra (Wikramagamage, 2004). This woman figure who is in trice-bent pose carries a pot on her left hand while holding a bunch of flower by the right hand (Wikramagamage, 2004). She is accompanied by two attendant women.

In the sanctum is a giant headless standing Buddha statue with broken hands. The Buddha statue is more than 40 feet high and has been built attached to a screen wall between which and the inner side of the rear wall of the image house is a narrow ambulatory (Ray, 1960). The edge of the robe falling down from the left hand had been supported by a lion figure (now destroyed) seated on the lotus pedestal. The giant Buddha statue and the two pylons at the entrance of the image house (which are about 55 feet high in its destroyed state) have given a majestic appearance to the image house.

Two ground levels are observed inside the sanctum. A portion with the same level of vestibule is in front of the pedestal of the image and on either side of this portion, the ground has been elevated. These raised grounds have been planted with square-shaped stone pillars with decorated capitals. The pillars as well as the beam holes on the side wall indicate the existence of an old upper story or gallery of wooden construction for veneration of the image (Ray, 1960). The flight of steps attached to the side walls had led the devotees to the roof for the purpose of circumambulation. The Buddha statue originally had been sheltered with a brick-made vaulted roof but presently remains in the open environment as the vault has collapsed long ago. 

Lankatilaka image house
The exterior walls of the image house has been adorned with stucco relief sculptures depicting miniature edifices (Vimana/ Pasadas) together with divinities (Ray, 1960). Remaining painting fragments on the walls indicate that the image house had been adorned with wall paintings. In front of the Lankatilaka image house is a building with carved stone pillars (a pillared Mandapa) which is believed to be a pavilion for Hevisi drummers.

Inscription
An inscription of King Vijayabahu IV is found inscribed on the Muragala (guard stone) located at the left side of the entrance porch. 

Lankatilaka Guard Stone Inscription
Reign    : Vijayabahu IV (1270-1272 A.D.)
Period   : 13th century A.D.
Language : Pali
Script     : Medieval Sinhala
Content : The  inscription says that  King
Vijayabahu IV renovated  the Lankatilaka
Viharaya, hundred years after it was built
by the great King Parakramabahu.
Reference : The information board at the
site  by  the  Department  of  Archaeology
and the Ministry of National Heritage.
Lankatilaka guardstone Inscription
Lankatilaka Pilimage Lankatilaka image house Lankathilaka Pilima Ge Lankathilaka image house Lankathilaka, Polonnaruwa
Attribution
1) Lankatilaka temple 02 by Bgag is licensed under CC BY SA 3.0

References
1) Wikramagamage, C., 2004. Heritage of Rajarata: Major natural, cultural and historic sites. Colombo. Central Bank of Sri Lanka. p.217-218.
2) Ray, H. C. (Editor in Chief), 1960. University of Ceylon: History of Ceylon (Vol 1, part II). Ceylon University Press. pp.597-598.
 
Location Map

This page was last updated on 5 October 2019

0 comments:

Post a Comment